Lakers spoil Seville’s finals hopes

On Saturday Kinglake hosted Seville at the King Dome.

The reserves leave the field. PHOTO: Kane Smith/Geelan Media.

On Saturday Kinglake hosted Seville at the King Dome.

The weather was much kinder to Kinglake than when we met Seville earlier this year on one of the coldest Saturday’s Kinglake’s played on.

With both the seniors and reserves needing a win to secure a finals berth and a top-three position for the second chance in finals up for grabs, both games shaped as must-wins for the Lakers.


Despite predictions that Seville would win Kinglake was able to stay in front all day and secure their first senior win against Seville since losing to them in the 1995 YVMDFL Grand Final.

Into the seniors from the reserves were Daniel Hamilton and Matthew Howard with David McMahon, Michael Nott and Adam Wolfenden also returning to the senior side.


Out this week due to injury at training was Dan Maloney with Casey McNaught, Brett Robinson and Brenton Styles also out of the senior side due to injury.

From the first bounce, the Lakers went in hard and played “their brand” of football. By the end of the first quarter, Kinglake had secured a narrow margin of two goals.

In the second quarter, Seville worked hard to get themselves back into the game and managed to keep the margin at two goals by the halftime break.

In the third quarter, Kinglake was able to increase the margin slightly to three goals four.

Kinglake had managed to play good football which halted the running game of a senior side with some Under 18’s players in it.

In the end, Kinglake played the way Seville wanted to play and added another six goals in the final term to put an end to any hope of last-minute Seville comeback, terminating any hope of Seville making the final five.


Into the reserves side from injury were Ben Collins (C) and Aiden O’Connor with Kell Kortinnen and Luke Gaskett also returning to the reserves line-up.

The reserves also lost Matthew Howard and Daniel Hamilton to the senior side, and Matthew Jennings and Daryl Robinson were also out.

The reserves started slowly in the first quarter, Seville caught Kinglake napping and were off, establishing two-goal lead by quarter time.

In the second quarter, the [Kinglake] bench was reduced to three players with Aiden O’Connor going off injured after a heavy collision with a Seville player.

Kinglake managed to get back to within four points of Seville by the half-time break.

Kinglake kept the pressure on in the third quarter and was able to get within a goal of Seville.

Early into the fourth term, Seville managed a few more scoring shots and though Kinglake had started to apply hard physical pressure, it was too late for Kinglake to catch up and Seville were able to hold on to a 14-point lead.

Seville used many of it’s Under 18’s players in their reserves side and simply ran Kinglake off their feet and Kinglake needed to help teammates out more often with shepherding and laying some effective tackles to slow the younger guys down.

Kinglake failed to do this and paid the price.

David ‘Prong’ Stoneman saved Kinglake from losing by much more by halting many of Seville’s thrusts into their attacking zone throughout the game and did a great job across the Kinglake backline all day.

KINGLAKE:   1.2   4.4   7.4   10.6 (66)
GOALS: Ben Munn-Gibbs 3, Glen Jenkins 2, Ben Collins, Kel Kortinnen, Gary Bell, Cameron Caine, Ashley Grundy.
BEST: David Stoneman, Rob Hale, Cameron Caine, Ben Collins.

SEVILLE:    3.4   4.8   7.12   11.14 (80)

The reserves side now faces two away games in a row against the top reserves side, and now are only one game clear in the final five, with just three games to go.

This is Kinglake reserves’ first chance to make finals since the Panton Hill Football League (PHFL) reserves competition started in 1966, more than 40 years ago.

Kinglake reserves now sit in the fourth position on the ladder just ahead of the fifth-placed Emerald.

Article originally published Whittlesea Review, 29 July 2008, p.11. Read the original article.